Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Mike Matheny To Wear No.26 As Tribute To Late Friend

The offseason number shuffle continues for the Cardinals, with manager Mike Matheny announcing on Wednesday that he will now wear No. 26 as a gesture to honor a late friend. In taking that number, closer Trevor Rosenthal had to choose another. Rosenthal, the club confirmed, will don No. 44.
St. Louis Official Site

It was within weeks of returning from the Dominican Republic and the memorial service for a player that Cardinals manager Mike Matheny attended a funeral for a friend and had a thought he couldn't shake.
Post-Dispatch

Since the signing of Jason Heyward, many people have asked me what number I planned on wearing for the 2015 season. I have been very fortunate to have worn the same number for almost all of my career, and the number 22 will always have deep significance to me and the foundation Kristin and I started, the Catch 22 Foundation.
MikeMatheny22

Early on Wednesday afternoon, St. Louis Cardinals Manager Mike Matheny posted his new number for the 2015 season–#26. Matheny also offered the significance of choosing the number…
STL Baseball Weekly

No comments: