Saturday, October 23, 2010

Cardinals Best News Links Expands In Winter Ball Coverage

I first would like to welcome Chris Swauger to the Cardinals Best News Links blog. It is great to finally get this project off the ground and have a player who is open to write about his experience in another country whether it be playing, meeting the locals, or even site seeing. Many Cardinals fans will enjoy and cherish this with you as you participate.

This has been something I have been actually working on for the last 2 years. I wanted to take a page from the MLB Blogs and bring it here for the Cardinals fans. But at the same time introduce other players and other leagues that aren't getting the coverage they deserve. Last fall/winter I almost had my first but things didn't work out. This year Swauger was open to the idea.

I have been covering Cardinals winter ball since the 2008 winter season over at The Cardinal Nation. There you will get daily posts on how the Cardinals players/prospects and even former players/prospects are doing during the offseason. In that time I have gotten to know the various leagues, the times they open their seasons, and who plays where during those times. Sometimes it can be complicated but after a couple years, you really become a fan of these leagues and their teams.

I have been luck enough to put together interviews with Luke Gorsett (Nicaragua, 2007) and Mark Hamilton (Dominican Republic, 2009). I even came within minutes of chatting with Amaury Cazana, while he was in Nicaragua a couple years ago, before he was invited to Cardinals spring camp. I make connections with some of the local media/bloggers in the various countries to help expand the experience/knowledge for the fans and even the players who have an interest in playing in these areas.

So please enjoy this, comment whenever, and if you can't feel free to email me at jrocke217@yahoo.com with any questions whether it be for me of for Chris. I will be sure to pass anything along to Chris as I'm sure he will be happy to hear from any and all of the fans. Be sure to headline emails 'Cardinals Best News Links' so I do not erase.

Thanks
Jrocke217

No comments: